Tuesday, November 11, 2008

HOW RUDE!!!!

Why is it that people in today's society are just plain rude? Are we so insensitive about how what we say affects other people or do we just not care at all how our words affect others? Case in point.....today I got a phone call from a client who was ranting and raving about some letter he received in the mail from our home office. As I was trying to talk to Mr. X (who was speaking to me in a very condescending manner), he said "Listen here sweetheart....." Mind you, I do not mind being called sweetheart by some people--I have several older clients who do refer to me at times as sweetheart. I am not what I would consider an extreme feminist and do not feel insulted when being called sweetheart. However, it was the way Mr. X said "listen here sweetheart" that got to me. It was very condescending and degrading. I don't know what came over me but in a very professional and I must say, dignified manner. I said, "Please do not refer to me as sweetheart." This is so out of character for me when dealing with clients. Normally, I just take whatever they throw at me. And right now with the way the stock market is reacting to our economic crisis they can throw some pretty ugly stuff my way. Mr. X's response to me was, "Well, what should I call you then...A**hole?" Mr. X then proceeded to laugh. He thought this was pretty funny. I didn't and my response was "That's not going to work either. What can I do for you, Mr. X?" Somebody must have been praying for me at that exact moment because God gave me the grace and dignity to deal with Mr. X. Although, I probably will not be talking to him again anytime soon--thank you Jesus. After, relaying this conversation to my boss he proceeded to call Mr. X and told him to move his account elsewhere. You rock Boss man!!!!! But here's the question: why do people feel that it's totally acceptable to talk down to other people? Why are we so rude to each other?

4 comments:

Jill said...

You have GOT to be kidding me??? That's ridiculous! Boss Man is ultra cool for having your back!

Anonymous said...

Boss Man is a "stud muffin" for telling Mr. X to move his rudness junk. AND to all reading this, I am a witness to the whole thing and Thompson DID handle it with GRACE and DIGNITY. Go Thompson! Go Thompson! Go Thompson!

ThompsonArtworks said...

You go, Michelle!! I know it's hard to keep your cool in situations like that! Hey, you wanna cat?? I can bring him with me in January! =)

Paula-Scrap Addict said...

Michelle, you're awesome! Ask Jeremy what I would have done...lol