Thursday, April 9, 2009

A Special Thanks

I just want to say thank you to all my family and friends who prayed for me on Sunday. I couldn't have run the marathon without your prayers--especially with the weather conditions the way they were. I give all the glory and honor to God. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought I could run the marathon as fast as I did.

There were several times I cried out to Jesus to help me make it. The wind was so strong and it was so chilly. I hit the "wall" at mile 21, and if I wasn't as determined as I am I may very well have started walking. But I kept on going....by mile 23 I knew I was going to make it....and at mile 25 I got my second wind and flew up Dickson and back up onto the square. When I turned that corner on the square and saw the clock ticking at 3:52 I nearly lost it. I had no idea how long I had been running. I didn't check my time throughout the race because I didn't want to get discouraged if I wasn't doing as well as I thought I should be. I flew the rest of the way to the finish line. It was one of the most exhilirating experiences of my life. And, yes there is such a thing as a runner's "high." Unless you love to run there's no way to describe the feeling of euphoria that I felt after the race was over. It's indescribable.

Thank you to Jill, my girl, who showed up about halfway through the race to help cheer me on. She even brought me Starburst jellybeans--which I absolutely LOVE. And Jeremy and Katie were absolutely amazing throughout the race. I think I've made them proud. On Sunday after we got home Katie came up to me and gave me a big hug and said, "Mommy, I'm so proud of you. You were awesome today." I'm hoping someday we may be able to run a race together.

I don't know when the next race will be, but I'm certain I will do another marathon. Are there any runners out there who want to join me?????

4 comments:

Angela said...

Again.... SO proud of you.

And I won't join you in running, but I will join you in eating some Starbust jellybeans. They're one of my favs, too!

Angela said...

Clearly, I meant 'Starburst'. Please don't let Jeremy see that.

Jill said...

LOL!! Oh gosh, Angela - that cracked me up!!

I will not be running a marathon with you either, my dear running friend, but I will be there each time you run to help cheer you on and to bring you jelly beans. :) That's what friends are for, right? Now, if it was a Zumba marathon, that might be a different story.....

James and Shanna said...

I love to run too, and I am planning to run one in October in Chicago. I would love to train with someone, but I am not as fast as you at all. I run about a 9-10 min mile depending on the day. I am running a half marathon in 2 weeks in Indiana. Talk to you in class!!!!